God, Yes I said God

Go down

God, Yes I said God

Post  airgunbuff1 on Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:42 pm

God
Bob Rinear

For the religious, this Thursday, Friday and especially Sunday, hold quite the importance. For the Jewish, Friday begins the "Passover." For the Christian, this is the weekend that we celebrate the "resurrection" of Jesus, after being crucified on the cross.

There are many, maybe many millions, that don't believe the story. Some don't believe Jesus ever existed, some think that if he did, he was just a prophet, others suggest it's all allegory, and still others suggest the entire bible story is akin to the great Greek mythology of Zeus and Ares.

I don't know what your personal beliefs are, and maybe you're a bible thumping, Holy Rollin, Christian. Or maybe you're an unbeliever, that finds the story too incredible. Or hey, maybe the concept of the "trinity" of the father, the son and the Holy Spirit is just too mind bending to believe. Okay, let's leave all that stuff alone for the moment. Let's talk God.

Since the day I was old enough to think, I have believed in "God". The reason was pretty simple, I simply could NOT ( and do not) believe that all the synchronicity necessary for life to exist on this planet "just happened". Sorry, I can't bend my mind around that.

As humans, we need an interesting mix of things for us to survive. The temperature for example. It can't be too hot or too cold, it has to be in a VERY narrow window. We don't survive well in temps under zero, nor over 100. Today's global temperature is typically measured by how it compares to one of these past long-term periods. For example, the average annual temperature for the globe between 1951 and 1980 was around 57.2 degrees Fahrenheit (14 degrees Celsius)

Isn't that interesting? Isn't it amazing? While I'm sure they might find hundreds of planets in our universe that orbit some star in similar fashion, and produce such small temperature fluctuations, it surely cuts down the number of planets that could hold human life. ( the average temp on mars is -67 degrees, on Venus, it's + 864)

Then we have the problem of water. Check this: NASA's Hubble Space Telescope has detected water in the atmospheres of five planets beyond our solar system, two recent studies reveal. The five exoplanets with hints of water are all scorching-hot, Jupiter-size worlds that are unlikely to host life as we know it.

So here's little earth, this speck of insignificance, where two absolute necessities for human life exist. Temps, and water. But wait. We also need "air". But not just any air, it has to be a pretty perfect mix of inert gases, and oxygen. But not just any oxygen either. It has to be free oxygen, not oxygen locked up in compound. How many other planets have that? According to NASA, not too many. They've found oxygen, but nothing usable by humans.

Now we've got temperature, water, and breathable air. The chances of that combination alone is one in many hundred millions. But that's just the surface. That's just the simple stuff. How about the plants that photosynthesize the sunlight to MAKE oxygen? How many planets have we found that have them? That would be none. Or how about nutrient rich soil for the plants to grow in and feed on? How many planets have 'good soil?" And how about worms? Yeah worms. Worms and other creatures aerate and till the soil, else it would be like concrete. Do other planets have worms?

And what about rain to water these plants? What other planets have the perfect atmosphere that allows Dust from Africa, to cross the Atlantic, settle on the Amazon, fertilize the plants, which in turn grow and produce oxygen, and respire water into the air, creating clouds that move on to water more plants? None that we know of.

I could obviously go on and on and on. A tree dies in the forest. An army of insects descends on it and eats it. Their refuse becomes loamy soil after bacteria begins working on it like a giant outdoor composting bin. The salinity of the oceans is "just right" for fish to thrive, and when conditions are right, gigantic blooms of microalgae called "Diatoms" explodes, producing more oxygen for areas outside the Amazon basin. On and on it goes. Dozens, then hundreds, and ultimately millions of symbiotic relationships, that work in harmony to produce a planet that's "just right" for harboring life.

And somehow, I'm supposed to believe that all this just "happened". It somehow "evolved" out of nothing. Sorry folks. I can't do it. With all our advanced technology, with the electron microscope, with the smartest minds in the fields of research, in the finest research facilities known to man, we have never created ONE living cell.

Yet I'm told I should believe that in some pond of primordial soup millions of years ago, the "ingredients" were there to create life, and then a spark, maybe from lightening, turned into a living organism. And that miraculous cell, somehow figured out it was hungry and ate something. ( somehow) and it figured out how to split itself, and on and on and on ad infinitum, until ultimately we end up with humans.

Just the idea of that sounds so outlandish to me, I can't fathom it. Why? Because I continue to wonder about things that ultimately confuse me even more. For instance, somehow this blob of protozoa figured out it needed to evolve eyes, to see things. Well, how did it "know" there was anything to see? Did it just "will itself" into creating new stem cells that could one day turn into eyes? Seems a stretch to me.

Think about it like this. Suppose you took a Chevy Malibu apart. Every nut, bolt, wire, cushion, doorknob, light, etc. Now you put all those parts in a pond. Then you zap it now and then with electricity, you shake it with earth quakes, you heat it in summer, you freeze in in winter. After say a few million years, would you expect to find a shiny new Cadillac in that pond? Or would you expect to find the rusted, rotten remains of what might have once been car parts?

There was a show that premiered this past Monday night at 10 pm, on National Geographic. It's called "one Strange Rock". You can actually watch it online at this address: https://channel.nationalgeographic.com/ It was called "gasp" and showed some of the ways our atmosphere is created. Incredible.

If you just watch that one single show, which highlights some of the things I mentioned above, and can still think to yourself that somehow all this "just happened", well, I don't understand you. ( Sorry, I've tried for 50 years to understand that train of thought, I can't do it)

I believe in creation. I believe in a "God". Maybe it's not a bearded man in a chair in the sky, but "something" created this very unique planet. So this weekend as we enjoy our Easter Sunday, I will continue to awe at the wonder that is indeed earth.

If you believe that this person "God" gave up his son as a sacrifice for mankind, then this weekend is as good as it gets. We are indeed "spirit" creatures, and while we all fuss over our bodies and what we are going to wear, and how we look...we often overlook the spirit man inside. Spend some time with him. It's important.

Enjoy your Holiday folks.

Bob Rinear

airgunbuff1
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum