The Blood Eagle
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1969 a Momentous year...............Dougie Kass

3 posters

Go down

1969 a Momentous year...............Dougie Kass Empty 1969 a Momentous year...............Dougie Kass

Post  Scumbuster Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:55 am

To be sure the capital markets have changed materially over the past 45 years. The DJIA stood at 825 back in 1969 vs. 16,660 today. The yield on the 10-year U.S. note was 6.70% vs. 2.35% this morning.

And 1969 was a momentous year.
•The first automatic teller machine in the U.S. was installed in my home town of Rockville Centre, New York.
•Wendy's Hamburgers opened.
•Ralph Nader set up a consumer organization known as Nader's Raiders (and I became one in 1971!).
•The Supreme Court ordered an end to all school desegregation "at once."
•"Sesame Street" premiered on PBS.
•The Fifth Dimension's "Aquarius/Let the Sunshine In" topped the Billboard music charts throughout much of the year.
•Oliver! won the Academy Award for Best Picture.
•The Beatles released Abbey Road.
•The Pulitzer Prize for General Non-fiction was awarded to Norman Mailer for The Armies of the Night.
•The Who released the rock opera Tommy.
•"The Smothers Brothers' Comedy Hour" ended and so did the show Cabaret (after 1,166 performances).
•"Hee Haw" premiered on CBS, and Oh! Calcutta! opened on Broadway.
•The Rolling Stones released "Honky Tonk Women."
•Rod Stewart joined Small Faces.
•Hello Dolly with Barbra Streisand opened.
•The New York Jets beat the Baltimore Colts in the Super Bowl, and Joe Namath was named MVP.
•Mario Andretti won the Indianapolis 500.
•Mickey Mantle's No. 7 jersey was retired by the New York Yankees.
•Joe Frazier knocked out Jerry Quarry for the heavyweight championship of the world.
•Muhammad Ali was convicted for refusing induction in U.S. Army on appeal.
•Rod Laver won the second U.S. Open in tennis and completed his second grand slam.
•Hundred-to-one shot New York Mets beat the Baltimore Orioles to win the sixty-sixth World Series in five games.
•The New York Times reported that Curt Flood planned to sue baseball and challenge the reserve clause.
•Kansas City outfielder Lou Piniella was voted AL Rookie of Year.
•Richard Nixon was inaugurated as President (and proclaimed he would end the Vietnam War by 1970), and Golda Meir became the first female Prime Minister of Israel.
•Warren Burger was confirmed as Chief Justice on the Supreme Court.
•Edward Kennedy pleaded guilty to leaving scene of an accident a week after the Chappaquiddick car accident that killed Mary Jo Kopechne.
•The U.S. Army announced the investigation of William Calley for the alleged massacre of civilians at the Vietnamese village of My Lai.
•The U.S. Army conducted its first draft lottery since World War II.
•Apollo 9 was launched (and came safely back to Earth), and the Boeing 747 made its first commercial flight.
•The Manson Family committed the Tate-LaBianca murders.
•Tiny Tim and Miss Vicky got engaged.
•Jerry Lewis conducted only his fourth Muscular Dystrophy telethon.

From Woodstock to Wall Street: What a long, strange trip it has been.

Scumbuster

Back to top Go down

1969 a Momentous year...............Dougie Kass Empty Look-backs are sometimes.............fun.

Post  fortuna Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:08 am

1969 a Momentous year...............Dougie Kass

Last edited by fortuna on Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:27 am; edited 1 time in total

fortuna

Back to top Go down

1969 a Momentous year...............Dougie Kass Empty sorry, I missed it

Post  DonMatzeder Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:47 am

was overseas at the time...

DonMatzeder

Back to top Go down

1969 a Momentous year...............Dougie Kass Empty Upon further investigation the author

Post  fortuna Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:57 pm

was JOHN CASS not Dougie Cass who is a stock fund manager. I should have checked. Mr. John Cass reports for the Chicago Tribune, I think. He used to be at the Chicago Sun Times, previously, I think. As you can tell. I know nearly...……………………………….nuttin'. Sad Embarassed Crying or Very sad

fortuna

Back to top Go down

1969 a Momentous year...............Dougie Kass Empty Re: 1969 a Momentous year...............Dougie Kass

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down