The Blood Eagle
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1948: HARRY TRUMAN, The NAKBA, And The Mystery of the “BEST PICTURE” OSCAR...

Go down

1948: HARRY TRUMAN, The NAKBA, And The Mystery of the “BEST PICTURE” OSCAR... Empty 1948: HARRY TRUMAN, The NAKBA, And The Mystery of the “BEST PICTURE” OSCAR...

Post  MikeSandy Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:07 pm

1948: HARRY TRUMAN, THE NAKBA, AND THE MYSTERY OF THE “BEST PICTURE” OSCAR

One evening in the late 1960s (I was then in high school), my father and I were watching television. The local station announced that, later that week, it would show the winner of the Academy Award for Best Picture of 1947, Gentleman’s Agreement.

My father and I awaited the film with anticipation. After all, we equated “Best Picture” Oscars with superior entertainment—films like All about Eve, On the Waterfront, Lawrence of Arabia, and A Man for All Seasons.

To our disappointment, Gentleman’s Agreement, a two-hour sermon on the woe of American anti-Semitism, was one of the dullest films we’d ever watched. It was all dialogue, no action. No humor either. A token romance was thrown in, but it had no spark.
Continued:
https://jamesperloff.com/2016/05/23/1948-harry-truman-the-nakba-and-the-mystery-of-the-best-picture-oscar/

MikeSandy

Back to top Go down